I woke up on Tuesday and thought it was Wednesday. It made the week feel a bit longer. Alas!
I did write the following when I was thinking about it during the week…
I’m currently trying to keep myself active on the following social media networks:
Although my Twitter account is still active, I’m only there to keep my profile name mine. I want to say I was there until the bitter end but truly, I only read tweets by the people I know and I keep hoping some of them end up at another network that I actually use. I post my Wordles there to keep the account active with the odd post now and again.
I have a couple of Mastodons that I’ll keep somewhat active but they aren’t daily visits for me at all even though I follow some interesting accounts there. Maybe I’ll go back there but my interactions there are few and far between.
This one is the most mature of the current crop of “new” networks I’m using. The growth there, for me, has been utterly organic. I’m a bit picky about the people I follow but in the early days, I was so excited to find something new that I just followed a bunch of people who were active and interesting. I find the site very serious at times with not enough silliness thrown in. It’s gotten better in the last few weeks but I can’t shake the impression of that place being serious. It probably doesn’t help that I was (rightfully) called out for something I thought was rather innocent though not very tasteful. If you want preachy posts and uncertainty on what to comment on, Spoutible is for you!
Since I want light and random, I try to keep my posts that way. I do my best not to complain on the network itself. I don’t talk about other social media networks there so I’m a little disappointed when people want to compare this service to that service. It’s annoying and unnecessary and I feel it doesn’t belong there (or at any of the other networks). I will concede that talking crap about Twitter is acceptable because how can it not be?
I am most excited about this one and perhaps it was released a bit early. I really want this one to succeed because a lot of the people I follow on Instagram have taken the plunge with Threads. Once Threads is accessible via the web, look out! I think that’s the only thing that’s making it falter a bit right now. But it’s still very new and has a lot going for it, so I’m sticking around to see how it goes there.
ETA (08-24-23): Web access opened up today! How exciting! Will it become my Twitter killer? It has a good chance!
I *finally* got that coveted invitation and from the usability standpoint, it’s very good. There are apps for iOS and Android, as well as web browser accessibility. I think the slow roll of users is hindering it and by the time it’s open for everyone, it might be a niche site. Personally, I think it’s a mistake to cater to the “celebrity”/influencer types, which I think Bluesky did. I signed up as soon as I could and it took me MONTHS to get that invitation. I’ve found some people I want to follow but the whole invite thing has likely hampered some interactions. It’ll be hard for someone like me, a normie of sorts, to get responses from the more popular people. And if you only have popular people there, the normies like me might not find it interesting enough to try. After all, how can those “celebrity”/influencer types grow their followers numbers if it is just the same kind of people there? Talk about talking into an echo chamber…
Still this one definitely has potential and I do like that my profile name is my domain. Seems like a definite flex, ya know?
And now randomly…
- I bought concert tickets for Luke Combs! May 18th, Levi’s Stadium. I actually bought the tickets because Jordan Davis is opening and it’s been awhile since we’ve seen him. I’m definitely hoping he does a meet and greet and photo op but it’ll really just be great to go to the concert. I think I bought decent seats. Should be fun!
- I keep thinking the weather is getting cooler but maybe it’s my mind playing tricks on me. I’ll let it keep playing those tricks. I think we might almost get to triple digits this upcoming week. Hopefully not.
- Who is Erin Carter? [Netflix] – We binged watched this one in one day and it was pretty good. Lots of action, decent plot (though I did figure out some stuff before it was all revealed), ending with the possibility of something more. I could go either way on whether or not I want a second season.
- Ahsoka [Disney+] – The first two episodes have dropped. I enjoyed them but I have the feeling there were a lot of call back to Star Wars Rebels, which means someone like me might not appreciate the show as much as someone who knows Rebels. Hopefully the future episodes will explain more of the world because too many callbacks to the previous show will make it less compelling.
- Stargate Atlantis – We’re doing a re-watch of this show. Well, the hubby is. I’m paying some attention. This show still holds up. I think if you have a chance to watch it, I say do it!
I actually have a little time before bedtime so I’ll end this here. A good week to all of you!